Monday, February 11, 2013

Find of the Week (2/3/13 - 2/9/13)



Nintendo Power (Jan. 1996, Nov. 2010)
Value: $26
Actual Cost: $0.50

I'm a big fan of old video game magazines. I was going through the magazine rack at one of my common spots and noticed some Nintendo Power magazines. There was a year's worth Nintendo Power issues from 2010-2011 and one issue from 96. I picked up the old issue and the only interesting newer issue. I will probably go back and grab the rest of them just for fun, since they're only a quarter.

The 2010 issue celebrates the 25th anniversary of Nintendo Power. I leafed through it and noticed a lot of people sharing their memories about the NES and some of its popular games. I'm into nostalgic writing, so I thought this was pretty cool. The cover is kinda cool too.

The cover on the '96 issue is actually missing, but that didn't stop me. This magazine is THICK. The big feature in this issue was a preview of all the games coming out for the Ultra 64. What a blast from the past! If you know a little about gaming, you'd know that the Ultra 64 turned into the N64, and the first year of the system suffered due to a lack of games. I mean, Body Harvest is one of the games featured, yet it didn't get released until 1998. It's also worth noting that this period saw Nintendo Power covered four video gaming systems at once. In addition to the Ultra 64, there's space devoted to the SNES, Gameboy, and Virtual Boy.

I payed a quarter for each of these. Completed listings say that the November 2010 issue goes for $20 and up to $30 for the special Mario cover alone. These will make good additions to my budding library of video game magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment