Monday, February 25, 2013

Find of the Week (2/17/13) - (2/23/13)

Last week was totally devoid of finds. This week, though, I went book shopping in Grand Rapids. I found a ton of awesome AD&D 2nd Edition stuff. Yeah, I know it's not really hip, but that's the edition I'm into, so I was super excited. Let's break down the major finds.


Planescape Box Set
Value: $90 on Amazon (in good condition)
Actual Cost: $6.95 (in acceptable condition, missing monster sheets)

Here's the campaign setting box set for Planescape. Released in the mid-90's, this thing fetches a fair penny online. At its cheapest, it costs $90! Unfortunately, my box isn't in great condition and the Monster Compendium supplement were removed (probably placed in the original owner's binder). The actual contents of the box are in awesome shape, so I don't mind much. Awesome value, as I actually plan on running Planescape someday. It's the most interesting D&D setting after Spelljammer.



Planes of Conflict Box Set
Value: $270 on Amazon (good condition)
Actual Cost: $4.95 (box in poor condition, missing monster supplement)

This box is in similar condition to the first Planescape box. The books inside are fine. It's missing the monsters and has a bad box. This box is more beat up than the last and is actually held with tape at the corners. Oh well, with the cheapest alternative at $270, I'm not complaining.



Planes of Chaos Box Set
Value: $37 on Amazon (good condition)
Actual Cost: $6.95 (box in poor condition, missing monsters and posters)

This box set is in the worst shape of them all. The box is really beat up. It's missing not only the monsters, but also 4 of the 5 posters. This is okay by me, considering this is the least valuable of the box sets.


Hellbound: The Blood War Box Set
Value: $85 (good condition
Actual Cost: $6.95 (acceptable condition)

This was the last Planescape setting box set I was able to pick up. I sadly could not find Planes of Law or Primer to the Outlands. This one is in the best shape. The box has a little tearing at the bottom but is still strongly holding together. There's no tape or anything. All the contents are included too!


Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendices (I, II, and III)
Value: $60 (good condition) 
Actual Cost: $9.90 total (poor condition)

Ok, these books are pretty beat up. There's water damage wrinkles and even one page where a picture has been cut out. Oh well, at least I can get the monster info from them!


Dragon Magazine #159 & #180
Value: $4 on Amazon
Actual Cost: $7

Okay, so I lost $3 on this transaction (not so if I factor in shipping and handling costs, a-ha!). These issues of the official D&D magazine are kinda cool. #159 has a bunch of Spelljammer articles, while #180 has a neat random encounter table. I read these on the bus headed home from Grand Rapids!

Overall, I got some pretty good deals, even if they're not exactly analogous in condition to items found online. $546 worth of AD&D junk for $42 bucks. Not so bad, if I do say so myself. 

As for whether or not I'll actually use this stuff, I guess only time will tell. I do plan on running a Planescape campaign someday, but right now I'm all about Spelljammer. Even if I never actually play them, I will enjoy reading them, so it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment