Sunday, March 31, 2013

Find of the Week (3/24/13 - 3/30/13)


The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer
Value: $10 (hardcover) on Amazon
Actual Cost: $7

John King Books is the largest bookstore in Michigan. I stopped by this week to see if they had any good old RPG books. They didn't, but on whim, I decided to check the film and TV section. I picked up The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer by Jennifer Lynch, as well as the neat The Northern Exposure Book by Louis Chunovic. Anyone who knows me knows that I loooove me some Twin Peaks. I've been looking out for this book for a while.

So far, I've read half of it. It's a short read at around 200 pages. The book is basically the diary of an abused girl, but written with the mythos of the Twin Peaks universe. I must say, I was surprised by the quality of the writing. Don't expect beautiful prose coming from a 12-year old's narrative or anything. The strong point here is the quality of the story. Anyone who has seen David Lynch's Twin Peaks knows Laura Palmer's story. For any of you who haven't, I won't spoil the great plot twists.

The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer makes a great companion piece for fans of the show. The quality is good enough to stand alone as a novel in the similar vain of Go Ask Alice. However, I cannot wholeheartedly recommend you read this without having seen the show first. Why? Because it would be a disservice to yourself to spoil the amazing story of the TV series!

No comments:

Post a Comment