Sunday, January 27, 2013

Find of the Week (1/20/13 - 1/26/13)



Dag Nasty - Field Day (Vinyl)
Value: $25 on Discogs.com
Actual Cost: $17.99

Dag Nasty is one of my favorite bands. Their second album Wig Out at Denko's is possibly in my top five albums. Field Day is the follow up to that classic. It's something I've always wanted but probably would have never bought until I found it randomly. Unlike the other Dag Nasty releases from Dischord Records, Field Day was put out by Giant Records and never reprinted. I would never find it anywhere but the internet. I would probably never actually pull the trigger on buying it because the S&H costs would deter me.

But lo an behold, I found it at the local record shop. I listened to it and was very impressed. I've only listened to Field Day through digital copies, and they never sounded this good. I think sometimes the benefits to sound in vinyl recording are exaggerated. Not here. Field Day sounds much more powerful here than in the puny mp3s.

One of the most frequent complaints about this album is that Dag Nasty lost their hardcore punk edge, so the more raw sound definitely helps. I had forgotten how good Field Day actually is. It has some pop punk classics like "Things That Make No Sense" and some good bluesy rock. All in all, I'm very happy I picked it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment